Tuesday, August 18, 2009

D.C. Family Vacation

At the beginning of August the kids' school and Ben's school had vacation time that coincided. It was only for a week, but we really wanted take advantage of the time together. We decided to go to Washington D.C. for our vacation and visit some of our friends that live in North Carolina. It was a whirlwind trip, but it was definitely worth it. The kids absolutely LOVED it!!!


Saturday morning we headed out of Auburn to Wake Forest, NC to visit the Henry's, friends from college. That was one of the highlights of the trip for our kids. They loved playing with the Henry's and an added perk was that they had a super cute dog!


Sunday afternoon we left NC and went straight to the Washington D.C. temple. We didn't get there before the sun went down so we didn't get a whole lot of family pictures here. However, the temple was beautiful at night.




We stayed in Alexandria, so we took the Metro into D.C. on Monday morning and checked out the Mall. On this first day we hit the Capital (couldn't go inside because we had food with us), the US Botanical Gardens, Air and Space Museum, Natural History Museum, and the American History Museum. Dayne was in heaven because he got to go on a train (the Metro) and go inside a building filled with airplanes (2 of his 3 obsessions at the moment).






On our 2nd day we went to Christ Church in Alexandria (which is where George Washington went to church) then drove to Arlington Cemetery. We went on a bus tour, which I would highly recommend unless you like hiking up and down hills for fun. After that we took the Metro back to the Mall so we could go to the top of the Washington Monument. We had tickets for 3pm, but we were 15 minutes late and missed it - one of our regrets! Next we saw the WWII, Vietnam, Lincoln and Korean War Memorials. I was really tired by the end of the day, but I'm glad we got through it all.





On the 3rd day we went to the University of Virginia to check out the Academic Village (if you want to know more about it click the link because I don't think I'll explain it correctly). It was designed by Thomas Jefferson and it was amazing. The University of Virginia's campus was one of the most beautiful campuses I've ever seen. I'm glad we checked it out (thanks to Butch). After U.Va. we went to Monticello, Jefferson's estate, which was pretty close by. The grounds around the house were awesome as well as the view from the house and gardens. (I did have to laugh when the tour guide refered to us being in the mountains - they were glorified hills!) After Monticello we headed back home by way of Tennessee - just to say we had been there. All in all, our trek covered 5 days and 6 states plus the District of Columbia. Can't wait to do something like that again!


4 comments:

Heidi said...

Too bad you guys didn't have time to stop in the Virginia Beach area. I could have shown you guys a good time! Sounds like you had a fun trip. I love the US History out here.

Christine said...

What a great trip. DC is one of the places I'd like to visit.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a fun trip! I can't believe you were able to do so much with 3 kids and being pregnant. You are amazing!

The Sold's said...

sounds amazing!! good for you all to get away! you deserve it!