Sunday, March 1, 2009

Global Warming - Come Save Me!!!!

We've been having the strangest weather lately. Yesterday morning we had thunder and lightening storms and a tornado warning in effect. We bunkered down into our tornado shelter (the hallway, it has no windows and completely closes off) and hung out for about an hour while we waited for the warning to pass. The tornado sirens sound so eerie - like war of the worlds or something. It was really warm and cloudy most of the day.

However, this morning we woke up (earlier than I would have liked) to the kids saying, "Mom and Dad! It's snowing outside!" The weather man said that we might have a few flurries, but this was way more than flurries. We probably had a few inches and it snowed for most of the day. We thought maybe they'd cancel church, but no, they didn't. (Did you hear that Oregon? Even Alabama doesn't shut down when it snows!) I was asking people at church how often it snows like this and they said it hasn't snowed like this for at least 10 years. Why couldn't it have waited a few more years until we were gone? The only thing that keeps me sane is knowing that it will be in the 70's by Friday. I think I can make it . . .









Ben made this snowman before church. Even the snow here has school spirit!
(P.S. He wasn't wearing his church clothes when he made it)



Ben had to make another snowman after church because it had fallen down while we
were gone. Of course this one had to be bigger than the last one. We had a bunch
of people drive by and take pictures of it. It's the biggest one in town

6 comments:

Sarah said...

ok, I just left a long comment that got erased. Oh well, it was probably a little sarcastic anyway. Something about tornados being normal for AL and laughing at you "hiding out" for so long. Anyway, I do remember the part about you deserving the snow after bragging about your nice weather. Ha Ha!!

I Choose Happiness said...

You get family, I get sun (and warmth). HaHa =)

Lindsey said...

I heard about the snow in 'Bama...tell Ben that is probably the best snowman I have ever seen...with the exception of the one wearing Beaver gear we made this year!

Heidi said...

Awesome snowman! We got snow today, too but it was the lame icy kind that doesn't stick. What a jip! I say bring on the Spring!

Dial Family said...

That is the COOLEST snowman ever!! I cannot get over how tall it is!! That is so fun!! lol... It's funny, because here in St. George, it snowed this past christmas and there were a few days of school's closing for the days as well (and it was NOTHING compared to what you guys got out there!!). I find that quite amusing... (BTW, Amanda!! What is the baby icon on the left of your blog.. are you announcing something or am I just imagining things as is expected with me most the time?).. :) Cannot wait for spring!!

Cissy said...

We're having the same weather here these past couple days, minus the tornadoes. Matt played golf the last two weeks, but today there is an inch of snow and the temperature is somewhere between frigid and bitterly cold. So we're going to St. George on Thursday.